University of Cambridge
Telephone: + 44 (0)1223 334 800
Single en suite rooms are available on site and can be booked by the Lhasa Limited marketing team. Rooms cost £120/night and include breakfast..
The city of Cambridge is in the south east of England, 50 miles north of London. It is well served by road and rail links, and is within an easy distance of airports in London and Birmingham.
There is a fast and frequent rail service from London King's Cross & London Liverpool Street through to Cambridge, plus connections from Scotland & the North via Peterborough. Regional services also travel from Birmingham & the Midlands, East Anglia & the Northwest. For timetables and information visit www.nationalrail.co.uk and www.eurostar.com.
Downing College is situated about ¾ of a mile from the railway station and is served by regular buses and taxis. The Citi 1, Citi 3 and Citi 7 bus services offer a fast & frequent service from the train station to the city centre.
Cambridge’s main bus station, Drummer Street is only a 5 minutes walk from the College.Local bus times can be found online from Stagecoach and the City Council website. In addition to local services, Park & Ride and long distance coach and bus services arrive at the city centre bus station.
From London and the South:
- Exit M11 Junction 11 and turn right at the roundabout.
- Follow signs to Cambridge go straight on for about 3 miles.
- At the two mini roundabouts go straight on at the first and turn right at the second.
- After 400 metres there is a large crossroads, on your right is a large church. Turn left at this junction (into Regent Street) and continue for 300 metres - you will see Downing College located on the left-hand side.
From the north, the A1 and M1 link to the A14 dual carriageway:
- From A14 Huntigndon southbound, take A1307 to Cambridge from the A14 signposted City Centre.
- After 1 mile you will arrive at traffic lights and a large junction.
- Go straight on, and down the hill to another crossroad and turn right (Ring Road).
- Bear left at the mini-roundabout, continuing along the Backs of the colleges.
- Go straight on at the lights and left at the next roundabout. Follow the road straight on.
- You will come to a mini roundabout and go left here, then immediately right at a second mini-roundabout.
- Turn left at the crossroads (there is a large church on your right) into Regent Street and continue for 300 metres - you will see Downing College on the left-hand side.
From the east and west the A14 again takes you to Cambridge.
There is no parking available at the venue. Please refer to the City Council website for details about alternative city centre parking or make use of the Park & Ride scheme which operates from five locations outside of the city centre.
Cambridge is within easy reach of London Heathrow, London Gatwick & Birmingham International Airports. The closest airport offering scheduled flights is London Stansted which is 30 miles from Cambridge. Regular bus and train services run from Stansted airport to the city in 30-40 minutes. Full information about airports is available on the University website.
National Express operates regular daily bus services between Cambridge and most airports. Long distance coach and bus services arrive at the city centre bus station which is within easy reach of the venue.
Accommdation - other options:
Lhasa Limited staff and all Symposium speakers will be staying in Downing College, however other accommodation options are available.
Best Western, The Gonville Hotel - Approx. 5 minute walk to the symposium venue
The Crowne Plaza Hotel Cambridge - Approx. 10 minute walk to the symposium venue
The Regent Hotel - Approx. 5 minute walk to the symposium venue
The Royal Cambridge Hotel - Approx. 5 minute walk to the symposium venue
Downing College, Cambridge, UK
3rd International Symposium (2012)
Poster Submissions:How and when to submit
Symposium Dinner:Dinner details